[olug] Cox blocking inbound TCP 2401?

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Wed Mar 24 14:01:43 UTC 2004

On Mar 24, 2004, at 7:53 AM, Terry wrote:
> May be irrelevant, but I would update the firmware on
> the Linksys, perhaps a bug.

Yet it worked a couple months ago?

> Have you tried putting
> something else, like an ssh daemon on that port to
> make sure it isn't the program?  I would force sshd to
> listen on tcp/2401 and see if you can connect that
> way.

Ya. In addition to the real services I also put a little IO::Sockets
Perl script on ports. I could always hit the ports repeatedly fine on
my LAN, not at all from outside.

> As far as vpn client, if you don't have root, you are
> screwed.  Cisco has a linux client but you need to be
> root to load the module.

Doh. Ya, that's what I thought... -ponder-

If I can't get any port inbound at all my options for inbound
networking are pretty limited... -grin-