[olug] OLUG April meeting & other events reminder

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Sun Mar 21 01:05:09 UTC 2004

Reminder: The next OLUG meeting will be held on 5 April 2004 with the
following agenda:

First, our presentation:  Running *nix on older Mac hardware, by Tim Larson

Have you got an old Mac sitting around, and wondered what it was good for
since you don't have any 10-year-olds wanting to learn Photoshop? Thought
it was ready for the dumpster because your hardware skills are limited to
the x86 world and Linux doesn't run on Macs? Don't be too hasty!
Old Macs make great little *n*x boxes when you know how to treat them
right. I'll cover some of the highlights and oddities of the Mac platform,
and talk about how to install an open source OS on one.

Tim is a systems analyst with ConAgra's web support team. He's been
developing with web technologies since 1995. He was awarded his MS in
Computer Science from Minnesota State University in 2002. Along the way
he's picked up just enough system, network, and database administration to
be dangerous.
He cut his teeth on the Mac in college, and got into Linux the hard way
because as a poor college graduate all he had to work with was Apple
hardware.

Second: Discussion & planning for the OLUG booth at InfoTec

Third: OLUG Q & A
Have a question? Problem? Something still not working after the Install
fest? Bring them up during the OLUG Q & A!

After meeting: OLUG SIG-BEER and SIG-COFFEE

SIG-BEER at The Old Dundee
49th & Dodge (next to the Dundee Theater)
http://www.barmeister.com/cgi-bin/bar.view.pl?bar=96

SIG-COFFEE (for those who want a coffee & hate bars):
Blue Line
4924 Underwood (In the Dundee area), Omaha
Here is an article from the UNO Gateway on the venue:
http://www.unogateway.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/09/30/3f78c3d4e8bba

Other notes:
The Summer Installfest is rapidly approaching - and we traditionally
announce the date at InfoTec (which is the end of April). Be sure to let
the Installfest planning committee which Saturday would work best for you.
Check out the News story on the OLUG web site for more information:
http://www.olug.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=191&mode=&order=0&thold=0

Luncheon with a Penguin: 11:30 AM on the 3rd Friday of the month, meet
everyone at China Buffet (114th near Dodge) or Clancy's (Pacific near
72nd). Be sure to wear your penguin suits (or other geek gear) so others
can find you.
OLUG FAQ on Luncheon with a Penguin:
http://olug.org/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=6&categories=Special+Interest+Groups+-+SIGs#25

Where & when is the OLUG meetings held? Read the FAQ:
http://www.olug.org/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=3&categories=Meetings

Check out the updated inforamtion and guideleines on the OLUG mailing
list:
http://www.olug.org/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=8&categories=OLUG+mailing+list

See you all at the meeting, or at the SIG gatherings! If you have any
questions, contact me off list.

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson