[olug] Question about cox.....=D

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Mon Mar 15 21:23:26 UTC 2004

Sean Edwards wrote:

> The only port I have found Cox to block is 80.

They also block the Windows networking ports (135, 137-139, 445) + some
other stuff.

> I am testing 25 with exim and a dyndns.org domain name without a
> problem so far.  I also have 22 (ssh) and 114 (imap) open, without
> any problems.

You mean port 143 for IMAP :)

I'm running the same, btw, and haven't had any trouble either.

> For exim to work, I had to define my cox mail server as a smart host,
> and define an MX record in the dyndns.org web config tool.
>
> It could be that cox (instert reason here), has different port
> blocking/allowing rules on a subnet by subnet basis.

Yes, they do.  They don't have port 25 restirctions on business
customers while they do on residential customers.

> Does anyone want to test all 65535 TCP/IP ports with all  cox
> subnets, and report their results? Obviously cox does not want to do
> it.

Cox would complain very loudly.  I think the best we can do is Cox
customers in the Omaha metro area who happen to be on this list.

Note also that Cox customers won't have many (if any) restrictions
talking to each other - I found out quite suddenly that I can make all
the port 25 connections I want to another host in any of Cox's address
ranges.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us