[olug] Argh... SPAM

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Thu Mar 11 20:01:12 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 18:50, Adam Lassek wrote:
> Is it just me or has spam become really obnoxious lately? I've been
> training spamassassin regulary, but it never seems to do much good. Is
> there anything more I can do to improve my filters, or are spammers just
> too nefarious for SA?

Yes, it has gotten worse recently.  The smart spammers are catching up with
the filters, and the dumb ones are just sending more messages.   We're
running SpamAssassin/MimeDefang for a 2000 user server at work, and it's
become a real chore.   The mis-spellings, fragmented html, and social
engineering (Your email account will be deleted if you don't click here!)
have been especially bad in the last two weeks.
I've come to the conclusion that spammers are like cockroaches,  impossible to
eradicate.  The best we can hope for is to keep them out of the kitchen.

Dave Thacker