[olug] CMS recommendations

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Wed Mar 10 07:05:58 UTC 2004

At Tue, 09 Mar 04, Unidentified Flying Banana Adam Haeder, said:
> I'm looking for recommendations on web based content management systems.
> This is not for a business or even a public purpose. I'm looking for a
> basic journal-type system to keep my own notes in. It would also be nice
> to have a few options:
> - adding images to posting
> - search capability

Hrm. . . I'd suggest one of two things, depending on exactly what
'style' you're shooting for.  If you're looking for primarily a journal
style, with dated entries, then I'd go with some sort of weblog
application.  There's literally dozens of these available, from the
service style (LiveJournal is my personal choice, here), to the personal
style (Greymatter is rather nice, and Movable Type, though not my
favorite, is *very* popular).

Alternately, if you're looking for more of a note space or knowledge
base, I'd suggest a Wiki.  I've found them to be an ideal way to store
random information.  I set up a personal note/information Wiki for
myself about five years ago, and I still use it very regularly.  They're
great. ;-)

> Most I see (phpnuke/slash/etc) are WAY too big for what I'm thinking of.
> Does anyone have any recommendations for personal journals systems like
> this? TIA

A google search for any of the above mentioned applications will lead
you right to them.  If you have any questions about any of them, let me
know. ;-)