[olug] SCOx Sues A Customer

David Walker olug at grax.com
Thu Mar 4 13:47:22 UTC 2004

It is my understanding that the Autozone lawsuit is not over their use of
Linux but rather their use of SCO libraries to continue running their old
software under Linux.  Sorta like if you said "I have eliminated MS Windows
from my network so I don't need licenses from them but I now run IIS on
Linux". I don't see this suit as a threat to Linux.

The suit against DaimlerChrysler looks vague to me.  Right now the only issue
is that DaimlerChryler is not allowing a compliance audit by SCO under an
existing contract.  I don't know what the bigger issue might be or what SCO
expects to find in their audit.

I do see SCO's protection racket as a threat to Linux.  I would like to see a
few state's attorney's file charges.  SCO isn't selling a product but a
promise not to sue.  <sarcasm>Wish I could bring in a few million for selling
a promise not to sue.  I think I would start by not suing corporations with a
lot of cash on hand and continue by not suing certain very rich people.
(If that doesn't work out I can always look into not growing wheat)</sarcasm>