[olug] Closing Socket Connections

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Wed Mar 3 14:43:54 UTC 2004

I've got a Red Hat AS box running Oracle. I noticed this morning that there are
a bunch of connections to this box that netstat -a says are "ESTABLISHED", but
the user in question hasn't actually been connected for a couple of days.

I'm told that on Sun systems there's a socket timeout option that will
automagically close connections like this and keep them from hanging around. Is
there something similar for Linux?

I've been Googling for answers and have also looked at several man pages. It
looks like the SO_KEEPALIVE option may have promise, but this is new territory
for me. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

--
Dave Hull