[olug] hardware diagnostics with Linux

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Sun Jun 27 18:17:02 UTC 2004

My brother-in-law's PC is having problems that manifest awhile after
boot.  Could be hardware, or it could be Windows.  *shrug*  Being the
family computer guy, I said I would try to take a look.  Not being a PC
tech "in real life", my experience troubleshooting that kind of thing is
a little limited.  Any suggestions I could try to test the hardware
(RAM, HD) before blindly reinstalling Windows (and crossing my fingers)?
 I've got a Knoppix CD, if it has the tools I'd need.  Or a
Windows-based solution would be OK too.

Thanks,
Tim

--