[olug] TightVNC settings from the outside

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Fri Jun 25 14:21:49 UTC 2004

>From the outside you are better off tunneling via ssh if possible,

It should work via vncviewer if you have port 5901 forwarded through the
router and the remote machine is listening on display :1
router-> forward port 5901 to machine 1 port 5901
remote-> vncviewer 68.43.116.20:1

Are other port forwards working correctly? i.e. ssh/etc.........

(for those new to vnc)
the ports coincide in pairs with the display,i.e display :1=5801/5901,
display :2=5802/5902 (windows machine=5800/5900)
For an open connection, you would use the 58xx/59xx port associated with
the display, so if you wanted to connect directly to machine1 on display
:1
if you want to connect via a web browser then you would forward both 5801
& 5901/5802 & 5902 etc.....

#to tunnel to a third machine via a machine with internet accessible ssh
ssh -g -l root -L 5801:MACHINE1:5801 -L 5901:MACHINE1:5901 68.43.116.20
#then connect to the localport
vncviewer -encodings tight copyrect localhost:1

or use this tunnel script
i.e.
./tunnel host.domain.com root vnc remotedestination

#!/bin/bash

HOST=$1
USER=$2
SERVICE=$3
ARG1=$4
ARG2=$5

if [ $# -lt 1 ]; then
    echo "usage:  tunnel HOST USER SERVICE ARG1 ARG2}"
    exit 1
fi

if [ "${SERVICE}" = "vnc" ]; then
        ssh -g -l ${USER} \