[olug] nfs user map issues

Ryan O'Rourke ryano at ch-gifts.com
Wed Jun 16 16:45:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 11:23, Ryan O'Rourke wrote:
> I've got an NFS share mounted locally at /mnt/nfs/lnxfile
> The user that owns all the directories on the server is UID=100
> "sambaguest". On my local machine UID=100 is "nagios". When I list
> /mnt/nfs/lnxfile it says user nagios owns all the directories. [snip]
>
> How can I make NFS not map the local user like that?

Sorry for replying to my own post, but after some googling (I know, I
know, should have done that first - you can all flog me later), I found
some documents describing my problem and how it's necessary to keep UIDs
standard across all systems on a network that you plan on implementing
NFS on. I just didn't think there would be such an obvious "gotcha" in
NFS, but now I'm experiencing it firsthand.

Now that I understand where the problem lies, is there any way to
straighten this out without completely screwing up a bunch of systems on
my network? Can one edit /etc/passwd UID numbers and not blow things up?
usermod -u?