[olug] quick pgp question

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Sat Jun 12 01:03:50 UTC 2004

If you're using Gnupg, they have a "howto" and "guide" on the gnupg.org
website.
For importing an ASCII key you have on your hard drive:
http://webber.dewinter.com/gnupg_howto/english/GPGMiniHowto-3.html#ss3.3

gpg --import users-pub.key

If they have their key on the keyservers, that makes it easy.  1) you can
browse to the website at http://pgp.mit.edu and search/download keys
usually and 2) easily search/download keys from the CLI.  Just set your
default keyserver in your ~/.gnupg/options file.

bwiese at franklin:tmp$ gpg --search epenne at ieee.org
gpg: searching for "epenne at ieee.org" from HKP server pgp.mit.edu
Keys 1-1 of 1 for "epenne at ieee.org"
(1)     Eric Penne <epenne at ieee.org>
          1024 bit DSA key AC7628AE, created 2004-05-20
Enter number(s), N)ext, or Q)uit > 1
gpg: key AC7628AE: public key "Eric Penne <epenne at ieee.org>" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1

or if you know the unique hex id number for the key (like mine posted
below in my signature), you can simply enter:

$ gpg --recv-keys 46D4332E

$ gpg --help

is very useful if you forget the proper option, which is common for me
since I tend to use it rarely... because PGP/GPG is:

"... the Best Free Crypto You Aren't Using"  (--yet, for most people)
http://linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=4892

Brian  =)

--
Brian Wiese          "What we do in life, echoes in eternity."
bwiese(at)cotse.com  gpg: 0x46D4332E    keyserver: pgp.mit.org