[olug] remote X for all apps

Terry td3201 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 7 20:02:13 UTC 2004

Login from the client to the server with ssh -X
user at server.

Type mozilla at your prompt.  This should bring up
mozilla on your boxen.  You, of course, have to have
an xserver running on the client for this to work.  I
don't think you can have EVERYTHING, including X, run
from the server.  Its a chicken and egg situation
there....

With this in mind, you can have a barebones X server
running on your client and upon ssh login to the other
box, you can fire up all your applications via
scripts....kinda horky, I am sure there is a better
way to go about that.

I apologize if I am stating the obvious above but you
have to start somewhere and somewhere should be
'simple'.

--- thelarsons3 at cox.net wrote:
> I am curious how I would set up an older PC to be an
> X terminal, i.e. how to automatically tunnel an X
> session to the client machine at user login, and
> configure all desktop items to run those apps at the
> remote machine but displaying locally.  I'm sure
> this is old hat, but I'm not even sure what kind of
> terms I'd begin googling for.  Any pointers
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim
>
> --