[olug] Suse 9.1/Compaq ProLiant 6000-Boot Sector

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Tue Jun 1 04:25:46 UTC 2004

On Monday 31 May 2004 11:28, Dave Thacker wrote:
> I'm trying to install Suse 9.1 on my Compaq Proliant 6000.  All the drives
> are under the control of the Compaq Raid Controller.  On my first attempt,
> CD 1 loaded, the machine rebooted and hung without a prompt.  On my second
> attempt I took a closer look at the boot settings on the setup menu and
> noticed that Suse wanted to install grub on the MBR.  For my second attemp,
> I changed the location of grub to the /boot partition which is at /dev/isa/
> c0d0p0.   I'm now getting a grub prompt, but it can't seem to find the
> kernel.

Progress, sort of.  I've told Suse to put grub on the / disk at c0d0p0.  I now
get a grub prompt, but the system hangs immediately after starting tty
logging.   I still haven't found the "right" place for everything.  BTW, if
there is a HOWTO on this, I'd appreciate a link.  I've GTFI for a long time
today, but all the configs I've seen differ in some major way from mine.

DT