[olug] Happy Hacking Keyboard from PFU

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Wed Jul 28 16:32:59 UTC 2004

At Tue, 27 Jul 04, Unidentified Flying Banana Jon H. Larsen, said:
> There was a conversation about the Happy Hacking keyboard at the last
> InstallFest.

You know, I played around with one of those once, and while it was
definitely a cool keyboard, it still isn't my favorite.

Of all the keyboards I've tried over the years, I've never yet found
something that can live up to the legacy of the IBM Model M ("clicky")
keyboards.  You know, the heavy-as-a-brick buckling spring keyboards,
that give you such great tactile (and auditory) feedback.  The ones
where, when you get typing quickly, it sounds like a herd of clickies is
running by.  No mushy keyboards going on here.

Now *that* is a keyboard.  And they also have the advantage in lifespan.
The one I'm currently typing on is over 10 years old, and it still works
perfectly!

Hell, a friend of mine spilled a Dr. Pepper on his.  I figured it was
probably dead, but he disagreed.  So he unplugged it, put it in the
DISHWASHER (top rack only), and then ran the dishwasher.  Afterwards,
he let it dry thoroughly, plugged it in, and the damn thing worked!

Once you get used to one, you'll never want to give it up. ;-)