[olug] More on Printer problems Suse 9.1 (Novell Kit)

Joe Gulizia jrguliz at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 25 22:41:48 UTC 2004

Running Suse 9.1 with YaST I have a Lexmark 1000
printer configured on the parallel port.  It appears
that the printer is there; however, it doesn't work
during the "Test" phase.  I've tried an HP Deskjet
842C which does work on "Test".

Part way through setup I get "CUPS daemon died during
initialization.

An error occurred while communicating with the CUPS
server while saving queue y2test  Error while
contacting CUPS server occurred.

Unable to print test page.  Output to print file:
server-error-service-unavailable

I've also gotten --
Print error occurred.  Error message received from
system.  /usr/bin/lpr -P 'Lexmark 1000' ' - #1'
'tmp/kde-joe/kdeprint

I've used "Kate" and "Open Office"
With either one I get the following errors:

"An error occurred while retrieving the printer list:
Connection to CUPS server failed.  Check that the CUPS
server is correctly installed and running:
Error: host not found."

HELP!

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/pf-new.cgi?in=http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/install.php