[olug] Minneapolis

Bill Brush bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Jul 20 20:10:31 UTC 2004

I've not lived there, but I have been there several times and my
brother-in-law (and his family) live there.

olug-bounces at olug.org wrote on 07/20/2004 01:10:44 AM:

> This is somewhat OT but my wife and I are going to be moving to
> Minneapolis and I was wondering if any of you have lived there.  If so:
> 1.  Where should I look for tech jobs

If it was me, the first place I would go to apply would be Xiotech in Eden
Prairie.  They're a rapidly growing storage vendor, and they've got a lot
of new products in the pipeline.  I've been in their facility for training
and it is AWESOME.  Break room with free refreshments, exercise room with a
part-time trainer on staff.  The second place I would apply is Novell (they
have an engineering, consultation, and sales office there.

> 2.  What are you impressions?

The city itself seems pretty nice.  Like all cities that size it has it's
bad areas.  A few years ago they had a problem with violent crime, but I
imagine that was localized to a few areas.

I personally wouldn't want to live there because the traffic is insane by
my standards and it's a sprawling mass of humanity, but that's a personal
thing.

Bill