[olug] two versions of software

Ben Dinger ben at mac-geek.com
Mon Jul 12 19:06:47 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 01:44:00PM -0500, Ryan O'Rourke wrote:
> Before I do something I'll regret I figure I better ask here.
> Is it okay to install two different versions of Apache and PHP on the
> same machine? I currently have them installed from RPM but I'd like to
> put source versions on there and eventually migrate everything to the
> source installation and remove the RPMs.

In short: yes.  Just make sure not to try to install two rpm versions ;).  I actually have *four* versions of Apache (1.3.27, 1.3.31, 2.0.48, 2.0.50), and three versions of Tomcat (4.1.24, 4.1.30, 5.0.19) on my work desktop for testing.  I personally put all built software into /opt/ and then use the version number for the directory name (ex /opt/apache2048/)

Oh, and make sure to not run two copies at the same time, tends to jumble things up a bit ;).

--
Ben Dinger
ben at mac-geek.com
"The Pope?  How many divisions has he got?" --Josef Stalin