[olug] OT: network cam

Shaughn shaughn at emosai.net
Fri Jul 9 16:30:44 UTC 2004

Ryan O'Rourke wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 10:50, Shaughn wrote:
>

>>Well i have that model of camera..
>>
>>works over wifi, lan, or both. can be viewed jpeg, java, or activex..
>>

>Hmmm.. I don't like the sounds of ActiveX. Does the java viewer give you
>all the same features as the ActiveX viewer?

yes, or I really don't know, don't use activex :)

>>640x480 @ < 10 fps is normal for me, the streaming frame-rate is
>>dependent on how fast / strong the wifi connection is.
>>

>Ouch. 10fps is a little slow. Do you ever get any faster than that?

I get faster if it's a good wifi signal... it's a relitive sucky signal
at 10fps.. hooked up with ethernet, 30ish fps

>>It is platform independent because it just sits on an IP address, so if
>>you have a wifi router and wish to access it from outside, you will have
>>to setup a special port, or portforard to 80.
>>

>I guess what I meant by platform independent was that I'm looking for a
>camera whose features will function just as well on Mozilla as they do
>on IE.
>Is this D-Link the best I can do?

if you can install java for it, you can use it, i use firefox and
works.. is d-link the best you can do? no. you can get more professional
versions of wifi camera's, of course the cost will just go up and up...
ones I looked at to hook-up a some cams in a store were 400 a piece.
sooooo...