RE_ [olug] Second Monitor

Tim - DZ iceburn at dangerzone.com
Wed Jan 28 22:48:12 UTC 2004

IF you get all the way to KDE, and you see the NVIDIA logo before X starts
then you're using the nvidia driver, but if you have somehow enabled the
TVOUT you should see something on the TV also...

You can also look at /var/log/XFree86.0.log and see the driver load and
probe all the available resolutions.  In the same file you should see it
trying to locate a valid screen and resolution for your TV.

Some XFree settings (I'll just assume you want twinview?!) include:

In Module make sure you have "Load glx"

In ServerLayout you only need 1 screen identified
	(you'd have two if you weren't using twinview)

Under Device you'd have something like this:

        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "NVidia"
        BoardName   "FX5700"
        Option "NvAGP" "2"
        #BusID "PCI:1:00:0"
        #Option      "RenderAccel" "1"
	      # TV Out Setup
            Option "TwinView" "1"
            Option "IgnoreEDID"                 "yes"
            Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync"     "30-50"
            Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh"   "60"
            Option "TwinViewOrientation"        "RightOf"
            Option "MetaModes"
"1024x768,1024x768;1024x768,800x600;1024x768,640x480;800x600,800x600;640x480
,640x480;320x200,NULL"
            Option "ConnectedMonitor"           "TV, CRT"
            Option "TVStandard"                 "NTSC-M"
            Option "TVOutFormat"                "SVIDEO
                Option      "TVOverScan" "0.9"

Notes:
RenderAccel works well for me, but is BETA so it may crash X of whatever,
it's unsupported.  You shouldn't need to note the PCI id when using
Twinview, it's more for using the multiple x screens method...but if you do
use it, it needs to reflect the PCI id for your system - obtainable via the
lspci command (possibly use: lspci | grep nVidia).  Use the same NvAGP
you're using now....if the driver loaded you're using the correct value for
that.  Meta modes syntax is
"resolution_on_monitor1,resolution_on_monitor2;next_pair" these are XF modes
so they need to be standard resolutions or defined somewhere - you should
have examples for like a sony viao alread in the config file.  You may want
"Clone" for TwinViewOrientation....

Those are the main "gotchas" I can explain the other options in more detail
if you need more help, but the nvnews website and the README do a pretty
good job on the rest of the options.

-t