[olug] VPN / iptables type question

Nathan D. Rotschafer nrotschafer at geniussystems.net
Thu Jan 22 22:10:38 UTC 2004

Just to point out how this works...

NOTE:  This is from a cisco perspective (basically from the perspective of
doing it on my cisco 2620 in my house)

What you need to look for is a split tunneling option (yes split tunneling is
the technical term).  What you do is setup a set of parameters (access-lists
on cisco stuff) that define what you want to go across the vpn.  Then if the
traffic does not meet the requirements is goes out the normal gateway.  So
the routing priority is:

1. Local network traffic
2. VPN tunnels
3. Default gateway