[olug] Knoppix display question

Harrison, Thomas id4spam at cox.net
Wed Jan 21 04:20:16 UTC 2004

I found this on a googling expedition:

>From J F on Thursday, 2003-05-22 at 19:01:39 -0400:
>
> Is there a gui to increase screen resolution from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 on knoppix installed to hard disk?
>
> Or what file do I have to edit?
>
> Or non-gui program to run to do this?

In case you have not yet resolved this question, here is my suggestion.
Boot up using the Knoppix CD and Roberto's suggested boot option

screen=1280x1024    <-- This is an option you enter at the linux: prompt.

or whatever resolution you prefer, e.g. 1600x1200.
Knoppix will automatically configure the XFree86 configuration
file, namely

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Save this file to diskette, and then copy it over (in the same
location) to your hard disk installation.  Just to be on the
safe side, you may want to make a copy of your old configuration.
Thereafter you can change between different resolutions with the
key-combination

Ctrl-Alt-<keypad +>  and  Ctrl-Alt-<keypad ->

Conrad