[olug] sharing REALLY large files

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sat Jan 17 04:40:31 UTC 2004

Adam Lassek wrote:

> Okay, so I've got some video data I'm working on and I would like a
> way to share it over my network to work on it from another machine.
>
> Each of the video files are 22 gigabytes.  I seem to remember CIFS
> having a limitation of 4gigs. Would NFS work?

Samba can work with that, provided the underlying operating system can
- I don't have any problem with Windows 2000 or Windows XP with 5 - 6 GB
files.  Server is Samba 2.2.8a on Debian 3.0, kernel 2.4.recent.

Windows 9x definitely won't (it has enough trouble getting the total
capacity of a 440GB share right ;)  NT4 can get the share size right,
haven't tried to read any files that large.

For NFS, I think you'll need to make sure both computers can handle the
file size (obviously) as well as use the newer NFSv3 protcol (should be
used by default).

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us