[olug] The Install fest count so far

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Fri Jan 16 03:29:20 UTC 2004

As of right now, we have 13 registered individuals for the Install fest. A
selection of equipment they are bringing & there needs follows, the
spelling is their own:

- Emachine M5310, WinXP Pro. Sinlge partition of 40 GB.
- HP Pavilion ZE4560us is the laptop that I want to dual boot with XP. I
can provide it with a fresh install of XP and Partition Magic 8.0
(registered). I prefer Mandrake but will consider all others.
- AMD AthlonXP2500 Barton core with new Asus Moboard/w/AMD processor. Need
advice on Best Graphics card and brand of Modem to buy. Tell me and I buy
them before installfest.
- Its a HTPC / LAN party box.  I want to dual boot Windows XP & Linux.
Windows will be for gaming, and Linux will be for an install of MythTV.
- It\'s my router/samba/ftp/http \"server\" for home use only. I have two
eth interfaces. One is DHCP enabled to pickup a Cox HighSpeed Internet and
another has static ip for internal Net. It also has Samba sharing, Ftp and
Http. It runs Salckware 8.1
I wounder if you guys can help me with NAT, iptables and Proftpd. Please
let me know if you (or someone else at the instalfest) can help me.
- Pentium IV 2.4GHz, I have Windows 2003 but I want to partition and
install Linux, becasue I want to learn more about Linux.
- 1997 Compaq Presario with two drives, capable of dual-booting Linux
(RedHat 7.2 with all updates) or Windows, uses wlan-ng drivers to run
Linksys wireless card to interface with home 802.11 network and cable
modem; current problem is with printer configuration;  despite reading
linuxprinting.org and installing CUPS and printer-supported ghostscript, I
cannot get margins right (proper amount of whitespace appears, but text is
cut off), nor can I get it to print graphic pages from web browser like
Opera or Mozilla; printer is a Compaq IJ900, which is a rebadged Lexmark
5700
- 350 MHZ Home based server.
- Compaq Presario 2256 circa 1998...No Monitor
- eMac that I want to set up with OSX Panther and a linux partition.
- Mac G4 Powerbook

There were also a few blank, or mostly blank registration forms. Yep, you
see some Mac hardware. I already called my fave Mac expert who said he
would be there with a set of Yellowdog CD's. Where are our other Linux &
Mac experts at? (Tim?? Oh Tim?? =)

Adam, Pete, & Brian: can we get a copy of Yellowdog on the file server at
AIM just in case?

To everyone: any thoughts on the pre-registrants needs/desires?

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson