[olug] Email server

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Wed Jan 14 18:00:44 UTC 2004

A simple setup with a single domain =

Sendmail + fetchmail

Fetchmail retrieves and sorts the mail to the local server.
Then the users could use pop3 to the local server and leave the messages
on the server. Then if a machine crashes, the mail would all be retrieved
when the new one is in place.

--

More work, more functionality. Not trivial, but not extremely mind-twisting.

Fetchmail + Qmail + qmailscanner + clamav + spamassassin + squirrelmail +
courier Imap

You could download/sort/virus scan/spam scan all email. Imap to the
outlook client or squirrelmail for web-based email. Leave the messages on
the server and you will have guaranteed access, even if they need to use
another's PC.

I prefer having squirrelmail setup, even if not being used, to do
troubleshooting.

I use the qmail setup described above.........and have supported other's
installations.......