[olug] Email server

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Wed Jan 14 17:48:21 UTC 2004

Your plan seems technically sound but it might be too much effort and
money expended in the wrong direction.  Especially considering it is
only 4 PCs.

You have 4 PCs with no backup in place.  You have, according to your
e-mail, a backup server capable either running on windows or on *nix
with samba available.  My recommendation would be to mount the 4 PC's
hard drives via smb to the backup server and back them up.  Not only
will you be backing up the outlook.pst file (for e-mail safety) but the
rest of the HD as well in case a restore of other critical stuff is
needed.

My usual recommendations to people worried about being unable to work
because e-mail is gone is to set their POP3 client to leave e-mail on
server for 5 days or so.

If you do all the above, and the general managers computer crashes
again, he/she could continue working through 3 stages of degraded e-mail
availability.

1.)  Immediately using a temporary PC to access his/her last 5 days of
e-mail.

2.)  Once a restore of outlook.pst file completes, all e-mail is
avilable on the temporary PC.  Restore can also make available critical
stuff from "My Documents" and so forth.

3.)  Once original PC is repaired, it can be restored from backup and
then the newer outlook.pst and any other new data from the temp PC can
be copied to the original PC.

Nick Walter