[olug] sockets in PHP

Mat olug at phpconsulting.com
Tue Jan 13 22:15:45 UTC 2004

Hi Ryan et al:

Simple TCPIP Server in PHP with link to helpful O'Reilly article...
http://www.phpconsulting.com/php/serv-list.php

One project that I've used for quite a while which makes effective use of
the socket stuff in PHP:
http://phpopenmonitor.sourceforge.net/

There are of course lots of other reasons to stay current and upgrade
to PHP 4.3.x, see:  http://www.php.net/ChangeLog-4.php
If I were you, I'd encourage your developer to follow systems
administration policies which involve routine and carefully controlled
updates.

The ongoing need for security patches (and no one on the network
seems to be fully exempt from this) is perhaps just further
evidence that "Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom." in this case
the freedom being things like 24/7/365 ecommerce or health care systems
that never go offline and execute perfect access control.

Stay safe,

Mat Caughron
PHP Consulting