[olug] Redhat 9 to Fedora?

Irv Cobb irv2 at gbronline.com
Sat Jan 10 02:56:38 UTC 2004

Ken wrote:

> I'm currently using running RH9 for my home desktop/workstation and
> have been thinking about "upgrading" to Fedora Core 1.  Anyone have
> any experiences in making the transition?  I'm lured by the "bleeding
> edge" packages and I don't need rock-solid stability but do need to be
> able to work consistently (web/email/ssh/ooffice) without having to
> tweak something every half-hour..

I find FC1 to be very comparable to RH9 as far as stablility and ease of
use. But I'm a SOHO user and not as technically minded as many  , , ,

> Any experiences in "upgrading" vs a "clean" install would also be
> helpful.

There have been quite a few problems reported on Fedora's users list by
people doing upgrades.  I keep my /home on a separate partition and have
always done clean installs. RH9 to FC1 was no problem at all when done
that way.

Irv