[olug] Newbie Linux Distro

Charles Bird thebirdman at operamail.com
Thu Jan 8 06:40:50 UTC 2004

Hi there, I'm Charles& I'm new to the list, I'm moving to Omaha in a week or two so u will see me at meetings soon.
  As for a starter distro I would also say mandrake9.1 or 9.2, however this is only if the install is going on a machine that is up to the task. I would suggest 512MB RAM and at least 1Ghz for the processor as the Mandrake seems to be a system resource hog. Rolling the kernel helps a little. Thats my experience.
 I'm quite fond of knoppix live on old school machines, I have "Damn Small Linux" on a 133 with 64MB ram and no hard drive. It almost sounds too good to be true but one can really do alot with that and still get fairly good performance. Its a good Demo disk as its only 50MB and can go on those tiny CDRW's.
 Hope this helps.. See ya!