[olug] Newbie Linux Distro

David C. Wellsandt david at gwald.com
Wed Jan 7 19:44:39 UTC 2004

I'm fairly new myself, and have used Red Hat for my distro (first and
only thus far).  It probably matters a little what other background they
have.  I hosed the first install attempt (dual-boot setup), but I did a
little reading about the Linux partitioning before trying again and it
worked fine.

If the person has some background in Windows or Mac, I'd say
Mandrake/SuSE/Red Hat would probably be best for their graphic control
panels and configurations.  The biggest problem I've had with Red Hat
has been finding information on the net based on its distro-specific
file system setup; what I mean is a forum post may say to check a file,
but Red Hat keeps it in a non-standard location.  I'm trying to talk my
Dad into it, and I'm thinking SuSE will be the best for him.  I'll try
to remember to post again after trying that.

Hope this helps...