[olug] unix/bash/vim/gcc howto - Friday Feb 27th @ 6pm

Eric Pierce eric_olug at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 19:58:02 UTC 2004

I could be off, but I'd guess there was ~50 people.  Great turnout.  Standing
room only as it was.

Brian did a nice presentation geared for people new to coding in UNIX.  He
covered bash shell and vi basics.  I missed the second guy's presentation (I
had to run).   That must've been the gcc part.

It was an awesome display of the power of bootable Linux (Knoppix in this
case).    The lab was full of IBM desktops (all w/Windows preinstalled for some
reason).  They (ACM, et. al.) provided Knoppix copies for just about every
computer in there, so everyone could grab a disc, pop into Linux, and follow
along w/the presentaion.  Everyone was invited to take the CDs home w/them for
further exploration.  Another truly evangelical application of the bootables
out there.

Eric Pierce