[olug] various radio projects

neal rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Fri Feb 20 09:51:22 UTC 2004

  After nearly a year off doing anything at all wireless except for private
line bypass stuff I've again got the itch to experiment.

  I've acquired a number of Lucent WaveLan 915 Mhz 200mw radio cards and some
amplifiers.

  I've acquired a couple of Soekris 4521 single board computers and I have a
bit of 802.11b stuff laying around the office.

  I added a Sierra 550 PCS data card to the collection - ISDN speed internet
most anywhere in the metro, working now to integrate it into OBSD which is what
I'm running on the Soekris machines.

  I'm slowly collecting microwave test & design equipment.

  I'm looking for a venue for testing some of the stuff I'm doing now - I'd
like to find a flat roofed building on high ground, grain elevator, etc -
something with walk in or easy ladder access and power at the top. I'd be
willing to help someone put in a system if it came with easy access to space
for other experiments.  This doesn't have to be in metro Omaha, in fact it'd be
better if it were a ways out of town.

  I'm interested in finding other people with amateur radio licenses who are
interested in doing some part 97 work with 902-928MHz & 2402-2483MHz equipment.
If you're interested in amateur radio with a data oriented spin I wouldn't mind
helping you get started.

  I've written a bit about what I'm doing right now - http://www.rauhauser.net

  So, this is more than a little vague, but I'm sure at least one person on
here is going to have some sort of a response to this ...