[olug] Hardware problems on an HP desktop

Eric Pierce eric_olug at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 22:07:53 UTC 2004

Albeit not directly Linux related... I figured someone here may be able to spot
these hardware symptoms.  Read on if you have a minute.

On my sister's HP desktop (Pavilion 7915 I think), when she turns on the power,
the blue HP power on screen (pre-BIOS) comes up and proceeds to do nothing.  It
doesn't even let me pop into BIOS to mess around.

The odd thing is that if she turns off the computer and tries again, after
around 10-30 tries, the computer will boot up as if nothing is wrong.  So she
has gotten into the habit of leaving the computer on 24/7 if she can get it to
boot.

I initially unhooked everything (every connector I could unhook) and plugged
them back in firmly.  I reseated the processor.  I also tried leaving all the
drives (hd, fd & CD) unhooked and booting, but still it had the same problem.
I even "spit shined" the connectors on the memory cards before reinserting
them.

I'm going over this evening to switch out the memory w/verifiable working
memory.  If that doesn't work, I'm stumped.  Maybe the motherboard is whack?

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Eric Pierce