[olug] Time

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Mon Feb 16 18:59:43 UTC 2004

Quoting PS <patricks at digitalrom.com>:

> What we are trying to do is use ntpd to actually dial out to a time
> server using the ntpd modem clock driver.  This part we have working,
> what we can't seem to get is to have ntpd update the local clock based
> on the time it receives from the server it dialed into.  The ntpd modem
> clock driver dials into a time server in Colorado.
> We have been at this for several weeks and we might have to throw in the
> towel and have by some software and have a M$ box  do this. Urgh!
> Thanks for your time,
> (no pun intended... ;) )

If I remember correctly, ntpd will not update your local clock if it is too far
off of the value of the server time. In order to force the first adjustment,
use "ntpdate -u". I ran into this situation recently on a couple of stubborn
servers. I originally thought it was a network connectivity problem, but then
stumbled across the ntpdate -u command and it's been working great ever since.

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com