[olug] gentoo install problems

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Thu Feb 5 12:15:28 UTC 2004

Gentoo works well on newer hardware.....I've got an Opteron System with
SATA, and I've just sent out an Athlon64 system....(Audigy2, FX5600,
SATA).....Gentoo is no different than any other distro, it's still Linux,
so anything that works with linux, works, and with gentoo you'll have
better luck than others, because it is kept more up to date....LiveCD's
with 2.6 kernels..not many other distros yet....

Anyway...

The portage message after syncing is more for after you have a working
system, Did you emerge your system before you tried to emerge the new
portage? Portage will emerge things in the correct order, so when you do
an 'emerge -p system' it will show you in the list when portage will be
updated......
With a stage2 you have chosen to take some pre-compiled defaults, so you
need to use the tools that are at that point-in-time until other things
have been updated.....

So with a stage2 you'd (short version)
boot from livecd
partition/mkfs/mount