[olug] Border management / server farms

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Wed Feb 4 16:14:02 UTC 2004

Oddly enough, I was in the UK setting up something like this last week.

For the webservers you can do a couple of things.  Since my webservers
were actually Tomcat application servers I used tomcat load balancing.
My initial recommendation had been to use Linux Virtual Server but the
customer didn't want to pay for additional front-end servers.  The
back-end was Oracle 9i real application clusters.  The load balancing
among tomcat would keep requests going to live servers in the event of
an application server outage, and the 9i RAC plus oracle Transparent
Application Failover would re-direct requests away from downed db
nodes.  It worked pretty sweet, but the Oracle 9i RAC was an awful
expensive component.

Nick Walter