[olug] Belkin KVM switch problems

Andrew Embury drazak at ingenii.com
Fri Dec 31 14:27:50 UTC 2004

The iLO is great because you can remotely power up/power down, run
diagnostics remotely, and get to the BIOS part of the server when it
boots.  However, HP has taken some features that used to be included and
made them only available with an additional license.  Among these are the
graphical remote console ability and the ability to remotely re-map the
floppy drive.  While the graphical console ability is primarily only a
concern with Windows, I was disappointed to discover this had gone in the
included version.

I use a Raritan IP KVM.  It reduces cabling in my rack and allows remote
access to both servers and serial devices (routers/switches).

Drew