[olug] USB Printers and Ethernet Connections

Thomas D. Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Mon Dec 27 21:40:29 UTC 2004

MICR inks and toners have a higher ferrous or other magnetically readable
material for the new Check21 readers to use. This is a move from an optical
type of reader to a magnetic head to read the check imprint on the bottom of
the check. The ability to electronically read the check is a key to the
processing the check in less than 12 hours. (Actually that is an advantage to
not using MICR ink or toner, the check has to be hand entered at some point and
this delays the check for a short time so there is a longer "float," but I
expect that these checks may be rejected for not meeting the new standard at
some point.)

I had seen a small "translator" for ethernet and USB. It had one USB port and
one Ethernet port. The price I recall was under $50. I look at Tiger Direct a
lot and this may have been from there. Its intention was to allow machines with
ethernet only ports to access other systems that are using USB for networking.

The printer from Electronic Recylers with the NIC in it sounds like a pretty
good deal as well. I might use that one for daily stuff and my other laser for
the checks (the toner there even in the MICR type would be less).

Thanks for the suggestions,

Tom Williamson