[olug] USB Printers and Ethernet Connections

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 19:43:29 UTC 2004

I am not sure exactly what you looking to do, but it must involve
printing to a USB printer over IP at some point.  By buying a
printserver appliance, you would not need a linux printserver as well
except for printing pdfs.

Some inkjets/all-in-ones have built in RJ-45 networking means you have
fewer cables and power needs.    Electronic Recyclers (402-408-0053)
usually has HPLJs with JetDirect for ~$40.00. But what is MICR
appropriate ink?

I know I was planning on purchasing a HawkingTech.com Firewall
Printserver, but held back when many customers complained it did not
work with many HP inkjets.  I am sure you would have better luck with
other brands however.

The AnywhereUSB device bridges IP and USB, but its price ($450.00 ?
MSRP  ~$230.00 froogle)  would mean you could buy a new laser printer
with jetdirect for less.
http://www.digi.com/products/usb/anywhereusb.jsp