[olug] Internet Access

Jake Churchill jachurchill at cox.net
Tue Dec 14 14:41:21 UTC 2004

I live on north 108th street and I am probably closer to Cox than you
but they have the same service as far west as Valley so it is amplified
at key points.  Also, the Cox architecture is a multi-ring network.
There's one large ring around the city and several smaller rings powered
by each node.  That is all fiber.  It is not until you get into specific
neighborhoods that you get to actual cable so there should not be any
loss since fiber takes like 40 miles to notice any loss at all.

About servers, I used to work for cox and they only scanned ports 1-100
for server activity.  I've been running ftp servers and web servers on
different ports for about 2 years and they have never known.  Yes, you
have to do the initial setup and change the port number, but how hard is
that really?

As far as 1.0 MBps downloads, that is common for me also.  I download a
lot of bittorrents and at about any time of the day I can think of I've
seen them going that fast.  I used to live closer to cox and my roomate
had it downloading faster than that.  The upload speed is really the
only downfall I see but I download much more than I upload.

Jake