[olug] built in RAID vs Indi RAID controlers

Charles Bird thebirdman at operamail.com
Tue Aug 24 19:40:42 UTC 2004

   I've been checking out new motherboards for a 3000 amd64, the prices are pretty nice right now. I want to do SATA 10K drives in RAID.  Every motherboard I have looked at has sata raid built in...I have heard that a controller card is better performing due to the fact that very little cpu time is spent on it...but the question is how much better?
  If its gonna get down to "depends on application" then I'll be using this one for audio/video production, some flight sim(flightgear), and umm yeah more video games I guess.
   Give me input please.