[olug] Finally, geek for a living

Cale Lewis dlazlo at fbx.com
Thu Aug 19 17:55:26 UTC 2004

On 1969-12-31 at 18:00:00 [-0600], you wrote:

> >From a hiring standpoint I'd be more likely to hire a fresh-face
> know-nothing newbie right out of school who has been actively working with
> computers recently than a guy with several years of experience which all

So how would a poor schmuck like me go about trying to impress someone enough
to even get an interview?

I've only been in 2 classes, both of which I quit after 3 weeks, BUT I was
going to early morning classes and working late evening shift, driving 50
miles a day for class, and the 'computer internals' class was taught by a
very nice lady who unfortunately used a Mac for several years and was rushed
through a crash course over the summer because they needed another body to
stand in front of a class and try and teach it with a textbook that was 2
months shy of 4 years old. If I'm smart enough to work with computers, I
should be smart enough to know when I'm wasting my money!

On the other hand, I started about 5 years ago with a hand-me-down 286, was
spured to study shortly after by a Compaq Presario 5200 series craputer
running Win98 First Edition, and now build, customize, and repair in my spare
time, do volunteer tech support for BeOS related issues, and am currently
running MacOS 7.x thru 9.x, NeXTstep, OS/2, Linux(x86, SPARC, Alpha, PPC),
FreeBSD(x86 & Alpha), Solaris9 SPARC, IRIX 5.2 thru 6.5.18, QNX,
AtheOS/Syllable, 5 variation of BeOS(x86 & PPC< booted on DreamCast once),
and 2 varients of BeIA. There's about a half dozen others I've tried for a
while just to push myself to learn more than the world of Windows. Oh yea,
I've got 98Lite on an IA I hacked around here somewhere.

The problem now is that without that piece of paper from a college or
university no one will even let you get your foot in the door. No other field
has ever 'locked up' so fast. It's great to see the cracks forming in the
Micro$oft wall and Opensource stepping forward into the public view, but I'm
still going to work 2 or 3 times as hard or do something to really stand out
and be noticed to get anywhere.

Cale Lewis