[olug] Finally, geek for a living

Bill Brush bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Aug 19 14:49:21 UTC 2004

LOL, I wish I was the hiring manager, it would be less work.

The way the University works, you have a committee look over the resume's
and decide on a "short list" that gets the interviews (after approval by
University HR).  The committee chair hands off the short list with the
relevant resume's to the hiring authority and sets up the interviews.  Then
when interviews roll around the hiring authority plus an interview team
interview the candidate.

I have the unusual distinction of being someone who has been committee
chair, AND on the interview team, as well as being the senior geek in the
department.  My boss is good for ferreting out personality weaknesses
during an interview, and she listens (quite well) when I give her my
opinion of their technical ability.  It generally works pretty well.

Bill