[olug] Re: BeOS in public domain & meetings

unfie at cox.net unfie at cox.net
Wed Aug 11 18:57:33 UTC 2004

> Personally, I sugest someone take him up on the offer. Of all the systems
> I've seen, this has been the one I truly "enjoyed" using.

I thoroughly enjoyed using BeOS for the short time I got to... and was really curious what a BeBox would have been like :).  Sadly, no one has taken me up on the offer yet. Weirdos.

> It's also very much alive in the efforts of the OpenBeOS Project, recently
> renamed Haiku OS   http://www.haiku-os.org/   It aims to be, and is so far
> succeeding, in being source, and almost completely binary compatible with
> BeOS r5.

Although I'm not sure if it's still viable, one of the developers for openbeos (at the time) used to hang out in Undernet's #beos.

> Since BeOS was a very modular design

This is something the people have to see to understand.  It's still years ahead of linux and microsoft (can't speak for apple on this one).

> plans for
> # ARM dev board - TI OMAP based dev board
> # Sun Blade 100 - UltraSPARC IIe in 64-bit mode
> # NeXT B&W slab - Motorola 68040 based
> # SGI Indy - MIPS R5000 based Indy in 32- and 64-bit mode
> # DEC Multia - Alpha 21064

This could be quite cool.  It'd be neat to see it fire up on that Alpha I have that no one bought heh.  I'd like to see the open source project make inroads to the embedded market, perhaps with an BeIA type clone/port/fork.  Would proove very neato.

> > Can you give some examples as to how Be and Linux interact?  Maybe a demo

There are NFS and SMB modules available, so that's fairly plain jane.  It has a shell, so you can telnet/ssh all you want, etc.  I don't recall any odditities concerning it interacting, although I don't recall ever attempting to print from BeOS.

-Will