[olug] Jon Larsen, Thanks for the attempt (CUPS problems SuSE 9.1)

troehr at nj-onramp.com troehr at nj-onramp.com
Wed Aug 4 16:54:56 UTC 2004

Port 631 is probably being tied up by whatever version of inetd that is running
on the box.

If you try:

telnet localhost 631

Telnet will try to attach to port 631 on the localhost. If it connects, then
"something" is listening there.

On my RH box, /etc/services has 631 assigned to ipp, the Internet Printing
Protocol. If there are similar lines on the SUSE /etc/services, comment them or
remove them, and recycle the *inetd service.

Hope that helps,

Tom