[olug] Jon Larsen, Thanks for the attempt (CUPS problems SuSE 9.1)

Jon H. Larsen relayer at levania.org
Wed Aug 4 12:58:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Joe Gulizia wrote:

> Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 20:56:16 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Joe Gulizia <jrguliz at yahoo.com>
> To: Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>
> Subject: [olug] Jon Larsen, Thanks for the attempt (CUPS problems SuSE 9.1)
>
> I took my machine and two printers with the CUPS
> problem to the OLUG meeting tonight AND even though I
> found out that this isn't normally done...Jon Larsen
> spent a good deal of time trying to get CUPS to
> recognize my printers.

Just to state what we did last night,

The problem resolves around the fact that CUPS cannot bind to port 631, as
it states that the port is already in use.  netstat does not report the
port in use.  lsof did not show anything that I could identify as
a possible conflict.  Switched the port over to port 80 for testing, and
cups runs fine.  Switched it back to 631, and it exits the process.
Changed the log level to 'debug2' and didn't get any more information than
haveing the setting at 'info'.   Google searches returned others having a
conflict with rpcd.quota and cups, but did not find it installed on the
system.

There haven't been any updates applied to the Suse 9.1 install as of yet.
I Suggested that Joe run the 'you' update program and get the updated
packages.  Does anyone know if there is a cups update for 9.1?

Printers are a lexmark 1000 and HP DJ 842c.  The HP has USB and par. port.
System is a AMD 1.3 GHz XP with a VIA chipset mainboard.

Jon L.

--
Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer (at) levania (dot) org
Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/