[olug] Senmail relaying

Ryan O'Rourke ryano at ch-gifts.com
Fri Apr 30 19:45:11 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 17:57, Terry wrote:

> Also, haha, forgot to tell you but are you running the
> following after you edit the file:
> makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable <
> /etc/mail/mailertable
> ??
> This will create the hash db that stores all this
> stuff for sendmail...
>
> So, now that we are all confused....do the following:
> 1) put the following in /etc/mail/mailertable:
> .somedomain.com	smtp:[mail.someotherdomain.com]
> 2) makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable <
> /etc/mail/mailertable
> 3) restart sendmail
> 4) Make sure you do NOT have the domain listed in the
> Cw config file.  (For me that is
> /etc/mail/local-host-names)
> 5) Make sure you DO have the domain listed in the
> relay domains file (For me that is
> /etc/mail/relay-domains)
> 6) Restart sendamil
> 7) Sendmail an email to recipient at someotherdomain.com

Thanks for the great help, Terry! This pretty much worked as planned.
The only thing I had to do differently was remove the leading dot from
the domain. I also changed the makemap syntax slightly, although I don't
know if it matters:
makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable.db < /etc/mail/mailertable

/etc/mail/mailertable:
somedomain.com smtp:[mail.someotherdomain.com]

/etc/mail/relay-domains:
somedomain.com       RELAY

-- Ryan