[olug] any proliant gurus out there?

thehaas at binary.net thehaas at binary.net
Fri Apr 30 19:09:30 UTC 2004

Okay, I admit, I've done this before -- at work, never one my own.

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 09:00:31AM +0000, neal rauhauser wrote:

>   If I run CPQErase then boot from CD I get an initial config option
> where I can spec the OS to be installed. I've tried a couple of
> different ones but no matter which I pick the machine reboots and
> doesn't boot from the CD into the config utils.

If it doesn't boot to the config utils, what does it do?

>   I found some .dat files on the CD that appear to be a set of bootable
> floppies, the first floppy boots but comes back with an 'error 76' and
> refuses to proceed.

In the past, I've had better luck with the floppies.  The handiest one
is the "config erase" disk that basically does an fdisk and let's you
start over from scratch.

>    As far as I can see the last resort is plugging a SCSI drive into the
> non raid controller, installing win2k or something, then loading the
> array config util on that OS. I *really* don't want to go to the trouble
> of doing this if there is a simple way to coax the CD to work.

I'm not sure that will work -- these Proliant's have some crazy
firmware crap (see below) that mere coaxing won't let it get around.
A drop from the top of the First National Tower may get it's
attention, but otherwise you have play by the rules or use it as a
doorstop.

>   Hello? Anyone? Its OK, I won't out you for being a recovering Compaq
> user if you tell me the secret.

It's been a while, but this is what I remember . . .

You can make the floppies from a Windows machine -- just put the
SmartStart CD's in, a window will pop up and you are good to go.

Put in the first disk, and setup the intitial config.  After that, it
will boot and reboot itself several times, each time having more and
more RAM available (no, I kid you not!).  Then put the disks in when
prompted.

That's what I can pull off my head . . . I no longer set these up at
work anymore (thank goodness!) but I know the guy who does.  If you
want, I can hit him up for his notes.

--
Mike Hostetler
thehaas at binary.net