[olug] smbtar and win2k

Jon H. Larsen relayer at levania.org
Wed Apr 28 18:08:48 UTC 2004

I'm attempting to back up a user's My Documents directory and I'm
encountering some problems using smbtar. Samba 2.2.7 is running on my
linux box with the tape drive I'm using.

My shell script I'm using:
-----------
#!/bin/bash
echo -n "Enter password: "
read -s PASSWD
smbtar -s hostname -x C$ -d "\\Documents and Settings\\user\\My
Documents" -v -u administrator -p $PASSWD -t /dev/st0

---------

I connect as administrator and everything looks good until attempts are
made to read files.  Here is the output I get:

Domain=[DOMAIN] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
tarmode is now full, system, hidden, noreset, verbose
                directory \Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\My
Pictures\
Error writing to tar file - Invalid argument
Didn't get entire file. size=2310144, nread=65520

Oddly enough, the nread=65520 is exactly the same for each file that is
being read.  I don't see anything in the man page for smbtar for tar
arguments that can be specified.

Access to the tape drive works fine, I can pull status, eject, everything,
so I know that's not an issue.

There aren't any problems with this Win2k box logging into my samba shares
on my fileserver.

Didn't get much help from a google search.

Anyone else using smbtar?  Your thoughts?

Jon L.

--
Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer (at) levania (dot) org
Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/