[olug] Zebra

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Tue Apr 27 02:08:12 UTC 2004

Trent Melcher wrote:
> Anyone tried out Zebra or using it???

Yes; I've never had much luck with it - it doesn't like 2.4 or 2.6
kernels.  I've been using quagga instead (http://www.quagga.net) - it
forked off zebra last August.

> I have admin'ed  Cisco's for years and though about trying out Zebra,
> just wanted to know if anyone has any comparisons to actual cisco
> routers.

I've only ever used RIPv2 and a little OSPF, but from what I can tell
it's quite similar to Cisco devices (based on experience and config
examples off Cisco's web site):

kaitain:$ su -
Password:
kaitain:# vtysh

Hello, this is quagga (version 0.96.4).
Copyright 1996-2002 Kunihiro Ishiguro.

kaitain> en
kaitain# wr t
Building configuration...

Current configuration:
!
hostname Router
password xxxxx
enable password xxxxx
log file /var/log/quagga/vtysh.log
hostname ripd
!
interface eth0
!
interface eth1
!
interface eth2
!
interface lo
!
router rip
  network eth1
  passive-interface eth1
!
kaitain#

It's in listen-only mode on eth1.  And no, those aren't my real passwords :)

I haven't had any reliability problems with it, but I don't push it very
hard either.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us