[olug] Chris Stone tidbit

Bill Brush bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Apr 21 15:26:40 UTC 2004

Just read this in a MySQL article, and thought was interesting enough to
pass on.

**************************************
So, what is Novell's Linux client environment?

Not desktop! No--a Linux client. That's the word I heard from keynote
speaker Chris Stone, the vice president on whose advice Novell spent 250
million dollars to buy the companies Ximian and SUSE. When I asked how
Novell would combine all those assets into something new and
synergistically superior, Stone said he couldn't announce anything yet, but
promised something he called a "Linux client environment," something
"completely new and different" and "much better than simply substituting
Linux desktop systems for Microsoft desktop systems" as Münich did.

Stone also said during his keynote (perhaps in answer to the anticipated
questions about Ximian being based on GNOME while SUSE features KDE) that
people shouldn't ask "KDE or GNOME?" but rather that, "The money lies in
giving each customer what it needs." This might be a Linux-based kiosk for
call centers, a PDA environment for mobile users, and so on. Specialization
is the path to success.

Bill